The CompIT Society
The CompIT Society organises a number of enrichment opportunities open to promote awareness of the IT industry and its opportunities.
In the past this has included:
- Attending workshops and conferences at local universities
- Careers advice given by local universities, eg Manchester and Edge Hill about higher education and degree courses and on college careers day
- Visiting speakers: talks in-house about all aspects of the industry by qualified professionals from eg Autotrader, Daresbury Labs
- Visits to local organisations to support ICT and Computing theory work
- Code.Club (see below for more details)
Code.Club is for Computing students who want to extend their programming skills by looking at the basics of different languages such as Python, Java and C#. It is also open to non-Computing who want to have a go at some introductory programming or who can already program and want the opportunity to do some more. We also have a programmable Robotic arm, Lego Robots and a Raspberry Pi for students to investigate and use.
The sessions are very flexible, allowing you to research and develop your coding skills in the way you want, to share your new found knowledge and skills and learn from each other. There are introductory help sheets and ideas for programming tasks to help you get started. You can then use the time and resources to solve your own programming problems, working by yourself or with your friends.
We meet on Tuesday lunchtimes from September 10th in B16. Come along and have a go!