Here in the Maths Department we are incredibly proud of the wide range of enrichment activities in which our students participate and excel, within college and nationally! Below is a flavour of the type of activities that our students have taken part in this year…
- Teams of students participated in the Liverpool Open Maths Challenge, a national competition where producing correct written maths solutions can win cash prizes!
- March made way for the Liverpool John Moores Pub-style Maths Quiz, where teams of students competed against other North West colleges for cash prizes. Winstanley teams were very successful coming in 3rd place and as runners up!
- Within college students competed throughout the year in the Winstanley Maths Premiership. Teams completed fortnightly puzzle sheets and gained points which placed them in a constantly changing league table. At the end of the year, teams joined together for the lunchtime ‘Play Offs’ to determine who would win the coveted Premiership Cup Trophy! Congratulations went to ‘Pythag R Us’ who became the 2011/12 champions!
- The Enrichment Notice Board was also host to the popular ‘Pirate Pi Theta Puzzles’. The first person with the correct solution to the current puzzle won a prize and then the next highly anticipated puzzle was released!
- In November, over 70 students took part in the UKMT Senior Individual Challenge held in college. Of special mention were the performances by the 8 students who received Gold certificates, the 20 students who received Silver and the 20 who received Bronze. Five students also performed so highly that they were invited to take part in the Senior Kangaroo and one student also gained free entry to the British Maths Olympiad. Winstanley was also represented at the UKMT Team Senior Maths Challenge, which took place at Manchester University in collaboration with the Further Maths Support Programme.
In June students attended the ‘Maths at Work’ day at Salford University which involved a lecture on ‘Mathematics in the Real World’ , a hands-on Maths competition, a university campus tour and presentations on ‘Studying at Salford’ & ‘Employment Opportunities’
Alongside all the above maths activities we’ve also invited speakers into college to deliver presentations on various maths related careers, such as:
Roger Owen – Chartered Accountancy
John Evans BSc(Hons) CEng MICE – Civil Engineering
Phil Hagen – Ex-Winstanley student now employed by Morgan Stanley
For further details about the enrichment in our Maths Department, please contact
Katie Williams (Assistant Head of Dept) email@example.com